Sadly in Australia we do not have many traditional dishes, however one of them is a pie!! This is my take on a vegan steak, bacon and cheese pie. I used to love getting these as a treat a a child, and now I share then to the world as a adult.
2 tablespoons vegan butter
1 onion, finely sliced
100g mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
bunch fresh herbs(rosemary etc)
600g vegan mince(IVP or vegan mince)
6 slices vegan bacon, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
300g vegan cheese, grated
2 teaspoons vegan butter
12 sheets puff pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
1. Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring for 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add flour, Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
2. Slowing add stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly too prevent lumps for forming. Cooking for 3 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper, nutritional yeast and fresh herbs. Adjust liquid quantity to achieve consistency you require.
3. Leave to simmer on a low heat until filling is complete.
1. Heat oil in medium frying pan over. Add vegan mince, cook for 10 minutes. Add vegan bacon and stir until cooked. (Around 15 minutes in total).
2. Once cooked, add mince to mushroom gravy mixture and set aside.
1. While the mince is cooking, grease 2 muffins tray with vegan butter.
2. Cut 12 puff pastry sheets into quarters and put each quarter in a muffin tin, until you have 24 lined.
3. Add a tablespoon of the mince mixture into the middle of the puff pastry muffin tins. Then add a small amount of the vegan cheese. Fold over the extra pastry to close the top of the pies.
4. Coat the top of the pies with a small amount of vegan butter,cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve with a desired salad.